Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is it okay to start using Haxchi after using Mocha for so long?

The bad news is that I'm still getting errors when trying to install some games on Wup Installer. I guess they were wrong about Mocha causing the problem.

What issues are you getting when trying to install WUP?

Could it be the ext USB drive causing issues?

Have you tried installing the same WUP to system memory to see if you get the same error?

Yes its ok to install to system memory as a test.

Just wanted to add this, you can also get creative and create your own loading screen when you launch Haxchi from the Wii U menu.

Below is what I created for my Haxchi boot screen :)
    Hidden: 

This is the sort of message that comes up on screen when it freezes during an installation.

But I don't know if any of this means much to anyone.

Sorry if I wasn't clear, it's not installing WUP that's the problem, it's using WUP to install games (only some games). I've often wondered of the possibility of damaging the external hard drive when I've taken it places, I wonder just how durable that thing is. The games I have stored on the external drive seem perfectly fine, but I guess I forgot to mention in this thread that I've had a problem for several months, where I'm unable to install anything in WUP directly onto the external drive. If I try to, it shows the progress bar for the installation of the game, but it never moves. So for a while now, I've had to install games to the NAND first and later move them to the other external drive in the storage settings. So unfortunately it's when trying to install some games to the NAND that I get these errors, while none of them will work when trying to install games to the external drive.

You mean you created your own screen that shows instead of that ugly logo that Haxchi shows? The current one is admittedly pretty unsightly after seeing the clean, professional looking one that Mocha has. At least Haxchi seems to load a little faster, though that might just be my imagination.

Actually, do you think it would make any difference if I still have update 5.5.2 on my Wii U? I haven't been online probably since I modded it, and there seems to have been two updates since then. But I get the feeling that having the later updates might only increase the chances of problems.
    Last edited by brad4prz; 07-02-2019 at 05:13 PM.

That error message is hard to decode but it's like a kernel panic, the system craps itself.

From what your describing, I would be looking at your ext USB drive, I could be that the free space sectors are corrupted, even though you already have games installed, that data is probably sitting at sectors on the hard drive that is good. So when you try to install new games onto these bad sectors, things don't work out so well.

If I were you, to eliminate if the ext usb hard drive is at fault, get yourself a spare ext usb hard drive and install the same games that you were having issues with directly to the usb drive.
    If your having some issues as well installing games to NAND then it could also be your SD CARD, again, grab another one to use for now.

Yes you can have another hard drive to use on your WiiU, the currently drive will still work when you connect it back to your WiiU, only downside is that if you have sorted your drive in folders, etc.. this will all be rest and all the games will be dumped back on the WiiU main menu, forcing you to sort them again, ok if you have a small list, but like me, if you have every single retail game installed, it's a pain.

But for your troubleshooting, if you want to pinpoint the issue then it's best to start using another drive and SD CARD, if your still having issues, then it could be your WiiU, I have not ready any info about WiiU's NAND going bad, so it could be that your that rare person that has issues.

Start with a new hard drive and sd card, start installing games and see how you go, Hard drives and SD CARDS do go bad from time to time.

As for updating, there is no reason not to update to the latest WiiU FW, nothing is broken if you do so go ahead, if this will fix your issue? I highly doubt it but you never know, just try.

For the Haxchi boot screen, yeah I didn't like the generic Haxchi boot screen, so I created my own, sometime old age gets to me and I forget what buttons is what for homebrew apps :)

You have a few options there to try, that is all part of the fun when troubleshooting.

Thanks a lot for all the help, I feel guilty asking you so much, it seems like most people in the modding community had given up on the Wii U by the time I got one. If I tried installing those games on both SD cards and got the same problem, does that mean it's probably not that, even if they're the same brand (different sizes though)? Looking at a guide in gbatemp, I read this: "Do NOT give your SD card a name with capital letters. Example: "SD". That will give you problems. Make sure your SD card has no name or you use lowercase letters." I noticed that my SD card, at least the one I currently have in my computer, is labelled "Secure Digital storage device". Would it be worth renaming it? I'm confused as to what they mean by having no name though, unless you can just press F2, then Delete, then Enter, and it will be blank.

One thing I had forgotten is that there was a file that said "???" in the data management section, but I had decided to leave it alone for the time being and get back to it, which I forgot for some reason, but I was clearing out stuff in data management today when I was reminded of it. I noticed there was 4 files labelled "???" this time, with just a "?" for the thumbnail, and their file size ranged from 13-347mb. This was the NAND, so I'm thinking they must have been (corrupted?) games I tried to install in WUP, but I don't understand why they would be so big, since when I get that console freezing black screen, it's before the progress bar even appears, and I doubt it would be installing over 300mb worth of the file in that time. It's too bad data management doesn't give a date of installation or something, so I have no idea how long it might have been there, but I don't recall noticing that first file as far back as when I started having this problem. Deleting them wouldn't solve things, would it? I'm guessing those were made because of the freezing when installing things, not the other way around.

I'm really hoping it's the external hard drive, in any case. I don't know how much it would cost to get another one, but as long as it would be a solution, I'd be very happy. Though the fact that it's been freezing while installing directly to the NAND wouldn't make it less unlikely that the external drive is the cause, would it? Sorry again for having asked so much, I really appreciate what you've done for everyone here.
    Last edited by brad4prz; 07-03-2019 at 08:36 PM. Reason: Typo

Yes most have probably moved onto the Switch and decided to stop helping out the WiiU users since there is a heaps of helpful info floating around, some old and new info.

Now you said you used two separate SD CARD to install the games from and both have the same issue? Could it be that the downloaded WUP files is corrected? Have you tried re downloading the games again?

Not sure how accurate that info is about how to name the SD CARD, I have "WIIU_SD" as mine and not have a single issue, as a test you could just rename it to to something short. Within Windows, it doesn't even allow you to use lowercase, so you might need some third party partitioning app to rename it to lower case. So I wouldn't be too worried about this.

The ??? games you have is most likely because your WUP install froze and you had to turn off your system, so those games are half installed with the ???, other cause would be that someone did not create the inject properly. I don't think this relates to you since your ??? issue is most likely because of a bad install that didn't finish. I say delete them.

It's hard to tell if it's an hard drive issue, but if you can borrow or grab a cheap second hand one for testing, if your NAND also having issues as well, it could be the WUP files you downloaded might be corrupted.

I'm sorry to bring this up again, but I heard that USB sticks can be used as an external hard drive. Do you think I would be able to install games onto a USB stick in order to test out if my external hard drive is the problem?

Yes you can use USB stick, I have tried in the past and it works fine.

I guess it's not the external hard drive since I'm still getting the error even without the external drive connected. I can install games directly onto the USB stick though so at least I don't have to worry about any risks that come of installing stuff directly to the NAND. I have 2 SD cards and I tried both of them, but they're the same brand, just different sizes, so I guess it's not that, though I could test another if I had one. My friend thinks it could be just because I have too many games on my hard drive, though I didn't have my external drive connected when I tried the USB stick so I don't know about that. It seems like I might be out of options though, I'd hate to think it's the NAND as I don't know what any solution to that could be.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12