• LATEST RELEASES
  • LOADLINE LAUNCHER

More Games:

More Games:

Thread: Newbie and Mocha CFW Questions

Default Newbie and Mocha CFW Questions

Just a few quick questions. Man, I had far better content in here when I asked it a bit ago but apparently the site ate my post and I lost everything I'd typed out, so I'll try to remember my basic questions.

First of all, is everything in the WiiU Full Softmod guide viable for hacking a current Wii U? The Wii U itself is about as old as Mario Kart 8 is, but I have no clue what the exact version is and it's probably not been updated recently unless it automatically updates while turned off. At the least it was updated a month or two ago maybe.

Second, is there anything wrong with Mocha CFW? The guide mentions to only install it if you can't get Haxchi, which I can't because I don't have any NDS VC games due to already owning a DSTwo and a modded 3DS. I'm assuming once I get the Homebrew Channel up and running with Mocha CFW I'd be free to run wild with getting everything else up.

Finally (for now since I don't remember all my questions from researching), is there any real potential for bricking while modding a Wii U, does it hold any potential drawbacks performance wise, and is there any possibility of getting banned by Nintendo from online or NID stuff? I'm guessing not so long as you follow the guides correctly, But I just want to make sure and may well even have a further request thread with any questions that pop up with things I'm installing.

Thanks.

Below is your original post, please be aware that all new registered users, your post is moderated, meaning, us admins will need to approve first before they are published, I originally deleted this post as I've seen you posted another one.
    Since you say the first one had more info, I have pasted your original post below for others to read.

Quote Originally Posted by SpiralKipz View Post
    Just a few quick questions I want to lay out as I'm doing some research into WiiU modding since it's currently sitting around and collecting dust (with a bunch of new, unopened games next to it sadly...)

I guess I'll start off by asking the real basic thing of do I need to worry at all about my Wii U being too up to date. I know with the 3DS modding it needed to be done on a certain version and if you were higher than that version you had to wait a while unless someone could boost you with their own modded 3DS. Basically, if I were to take my Wii U (which may or may not be up to date) and followed the Full WiiU Softmod guide, would everything work smoothly?

Second, is there something wrong with Mocha CFW? The guide mentions to get Mocha only if you don't have Haxchi, and I don't have any NDS VC games so I definitely don't have any of the specific ones that would be required for getting it. I'd assume that everything will work perfectly fine without Haxchi unless there's some piece of information that I'm missing, since you can install the Homebrew channel and everything either way.

Third of all, is there any chance of bricking your Wii U so long as you follow what the instructions say? Or is there any real risk to modding your Wii U such as getting banned from all online play, or is it pretty smooth just like it is on the 3DS?

I might have more questions that I'm not thinking of, but these three should give me a pretty good feel for what I'd be getting myself into and what all I need.

Thanks!

Thank you! Yeah, I accidentally assumed it was the generic "Click here to continue" page that sites put instead of reading it to notice it was different from normal.

First question is, what firmware are you on? 5.5.1 or 5.5.2?

Firmware 5.5.1:
    Your only option to get to the Homebrew Launcher channel is using the browser exploit, what this does is it crashes the browser so it can run some code resulting in launching the Homebrew Launcher channel from the SD CARD. From here, this is where you can launch such apps like WUP Installer GX2 or WUPINSTALLER Y MOD, both these apps do the same thing which allows you to install retail and eShop (Virtual Console, etc...) games that are is USB/WUP format to your connected external USB drive.
    PRO:
    The browser exploit has a very high success rate in working, in return it allows you to access the Homebrew Launcher channel where all good things happen.
    CON:
    Can't access the eShop as it will ask for a system update to 5.5.2, some don't care much about accessing the eShop, but you need access to purchase one of the exploitable Nintendo DS virtual console game if you want to install Haxchi.

Firmware 5.5.2:
    The browser exploit has a very low success rate, but it does work, so if you need to access the Homebrew Launcher channel to launch WUP Installer GX2 or WUPINSTALLER Y MOD to install a game, it could take you a few goes or more to get it to work which will/may result in a lot of frustration if it doesn't work.
    PRO:
    Can access the eShop, the system is up to date.
    CON:
    The browser exploit has a very low success rate, this is needed if you need to access the Homebrew Launcher channel.

I know the majority of those who are on Firmware 5.5.1 are still on this version and not updating anytime soon, as they either still continue to use the Browser Exploit, or either have Mocha or Haxchi installed.
    And for those that accidentally upgraded to firmware 5.5.2, if they have Haxchi installed, then they are fine as it still works, I don't know much about Mocha so I can't comment on this, but for those that still rely on the browser exploit, still use this on 5.5.2 but I think some, if not most are installing the Haxchi.

Why Haxchi/Mocha/Etc..?
    If you have these installed, then there is no need for the browser exploit to access the Homebrew Channel Launcher which can be a hit and miss and also not having to go through all the steps to get the browser exploit working.
    With Haxchi, just launch it from the WiiU menu and it will take you straight to the Homebrew Launcher Channel, Haxchi doesn't install anything on your system nand or anything, it's just a fw.img file on your SD CARD, so if you want your WiiU stock as possible, then Haxchi is recommonded.
    With Mocha, I havn't installed this so I can't comment much but after having a quick read I works very similar to Haxchi as you will have all the goodies in the CFW, but you need to access the Homebrew Launcher Channel everytime you want to launch Mocha.

Recommended: This is my PERSONAL recommendation ONLY and it does not reflect the same view as others.
    I recommend purchasing one of the compatible DS virtual console game to perform the Haxchi install, this means if your on 5.5.1, you will NEED to update to 5.5.2.
    Once you have Haxchi exploit installed, launching to the Homebrew Launcher Channel or CFW is just a couple button presses away. Good thing about this is that, every time you boot your WiiU, it's completely stock and act the same way as it already has, but if you need to boot into the Homebrew Launcher Channel to install a new game, then you have the option to do so, same goes for launching CFW. Most will not do this as they don't want to spend the $10 or so to purchase a DS VC game. For those that had Haxchi installed, when Nintendo snuck out firmware 5.5.2, Haxchi was unaffected.

What is CFW?
    Every game you install on the WiiU, requires a ticket, if the ticket is legit, meaning it was dumped from the retail disc, then you can install/play without the need to boot into CFW, just boot Homebrew Launcher channel and launch either WUP Installer GX2 or WUPINSTALLER Y MOD to install games to your external hard drive.
    But if a game has a fake ticket, then you need to boot into CFW to install and play game, the CFW lets you install unsigned tickets and play those games, normally CFW is required if your installing ANY virtual console games from the eShop, injected VC games and any of those small 3rd party indie eShop games.

Now onto the important part:
    I recommend going to the WiiU Guide site, click HERE. Have and read and follow the instructions, it has everything you need to get it softmodded.

Important Info:

- The Homebrew Launcher Channel is required to launch the required apps such as WUP Installer GX2 or WUPINSTALLER Y MOD to install your games to your external hard drive, also required to launch into CFW.
    - The browser exploit or Haxchi is required to access the Homebrew Launcher Channel.
    - If the game your installing has a legit ticket, once installed, you can pretty much just play the game once the system boots up.
    - If the game your installing has a fake/unisigned ticket, then you need to boot into CFW to install and Play, shutting down your system or restarting will loose the CFW, so you need to boot into CFW again.
    - Very very low brick rate if you follow the instructing carefully and if your unsure of anything, just stop, then ask around before continueing.
    - Banning is very uncommong on the WiiU, I'm not sure if we ever did have a ban wave??? The WiiU is almost end of life so the risk of being banned is pretty low, if there is such bans going on, you'll hear all about it here on this site.
    - No performance issues with any of the above.

Without going into great dept into the inner workings of everything but the above is kinda in a nutshell info, I may have left something out but that's just the basics.
    Last edited by xs4all; 1 Week Ago at 10:24 AM.

I guess I should start off by saying that I'm currently running 5.5.1 it seems, but based on what I'm reading here it's impossible for me to get Haxchi installed with my current version due to me not owning a valid NDS title for hacking. Would it be recommended to go through the browser exploit and everything to get Mocha up and running and install the homebrew channel launcher(? if that's a thing, which I thought I read)? And would the Homebrew Launcher Channel not get deleted and remain fine when updating the System Version to 5.5.2 (or whatever the current version is)?

I'm kind of curious why there's no way to get Haxchi installed without a legit NDS VC game since theoretically (based on my low-knowledge comprehension) you could install a fake game and then run an exploit through that with your CFW up. I guess that maybe in the future there will be a far easier way of getting into Homebrew kind of like how in the 3DS it got as simple as running the System Sound Settings to get stuff up and running?

Thank you very much for all the info though, and I'll be reading up on the guide you linked!

Since your on 5.5.1, to install Haxchi, you need to be on 5.5.2 to access the eShop to purchase a legit DS VC game for Haxchi install.

To use Mocha CFW, you STILL need to launch the Homebrew Launcher Channel to launch the Mocha app, this doesn't install the Homebrew Launcher Channel, all Mocha does is patches some system files then it reboots your WiiU, once back on the WiiU menu, your now in CFW mode until you next shutdown or restart your console. Then you have to go through the process of launching the Mocha app again if you want CFW. Again, you still need to use the Browser exploit to launch the Homebrew Launcher Channel. As I mentioned in my previous reply, on 5.5.2 the Browser exploit is flaky but it does work.

Haxchi requires a legit DS VC to exploit, no way around it, wont work on fake signed DS VC, it's a small price to pay if you want a permanent Homebrew Launcher Channel installed straight onto the main WiiU menu then don't have to worry about using the browser exploit ever again, unless you accidentally delete the DS VC title.

As for an easier way, development has slowed down and nothing new has come to light since the flaky browser exploit on 5.5.2.

In a nutshell, Haxchi is an entry point to the Homebrew Launcher Channel straight from the WiiU menu, replacing the need to use the browser exploit to access the Homebrew Launcher Channel. Prior to installing Haxchi, you can edit the config file to auto boot into whatever Homebrew App when you launch Haxchi or map a button on the GamePad to launch any other Homebrew App.
    Haxchi by default, the config file points autoboot to Homebrew Launcher Channel and holding down the A or B (can't remember) to launch CFW.

CFW I'm using is Haxchi CFW that uses IOSUHAX, but you can use Mocha CFW instead if you which or have both and you choose what you want to use, end of the day both CFW do the same thing and both have region free patch.
    You only need CFW to install/play fake ticketed games, if your installed a legit ticket game, you don't need to boot into CFW, just boot up your WiiU and play as per normal.